Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dust 514

When I read the article on Massively this morning about CCP's new console only mmofps Dust 514, the best two adjectives I found to describe what they are attempting were bold and intricate. And there are two questions, the answers to which, I feel, will determine the success of this game.

1. Will the EVE Online community accept the console community and share their sovereignty content?

2. Will the console fps Halo crowd be smart enough to figure out that they need to work with the players of EVE Online, in order to achieve success, and presumably have fun in game?

In attempting this melding of gameplay styles CCP is putting a metric ton of faith in their subscribers. Will it pay off?

Also, something they didn't mention was which console(s) Dust will actually be playable on. I'm thinking PS3, for no baseless reason other than it just feels right in my mind. Not to mention, PS3 players will soon be playing MAG which seems a lot like Dust, just without the interconnectivity. And did I mention the graphics? Because they look pretty damn good.

It will be interesting to see where these two games go from here.

-Max

1 comment:

  1. Actually, it did show in the video that it would be on the PS3 and Xbox360.

    And to address your questions, it came across to me that they wouldn't have to share sovereignty as such, but rather EVE players would hire Dust players to conquer planet-side objectives which in turn play a role in sovereignty.

    I think Dust works as a stand alone until such time as they a brought in to do something. I could be wrong.


    And with your second point, I don't think it's a matter of being smart enough, but rather mutual interest.
    Dust seems to require each mercenary to pay for their own equipment, much like EVE players do. In which they can offset the cost by being part of a corp.

    And EVE players and corps will be able to fund a Dust corp/players war effort, where as the Dust corp/players work towards accomplishing the EVE corps goals for sovereignty.

    Win win.


    Personally I think it is a brilliant move on CCP's part, as they are not competing directly with other MMO's this way, and can tap into an entirely new resource.
    Given the way they do things, it looks like it will work quite well.

    Now I want to work for them even more. ^^

    ~Yoh

    ReplyDelete